Farmers Market FAQ
- When and where is the Farmers Market on campus? The Farmers Market comes to the EKU campus is every Thursday from 10am to 1pm in the Alumni Coliseum Parking Lot, next to the Kentucky State Police Post in the shade of the big trees. The season begins in June and runs until September.
- Will the market ever be cancelled? The market is held rain or shine. However, severe weather, or the threat of severe weather, may force us to cancel a market for everyone’s safety. Notice of a cancellation will be announced on our Facebook page.
- Why should I shop at a farmers market? Farmers markets provide an opportunity to purchase food directly from local farms. Local food is full of flavor, harvested at its nutritional peak, and available at the market soon after. It doesn’t travel long distances, so buying from local farms also reduces the environmental impact of bringing food to your table (the average food item travels about 1,500 miles to reach us) while providing support for the local economy.
- Who is sponsoring the Farmers Market at EKU? The employee wellness program, provides an official location through the Kentucky Dept of Agriculture for the Madison County Farmers Market (MCFM) to set up on campus. All farmers must be a member of this official market to participate. The MCFM also sets up on Saturdays at Lowe's.
- If I am a farmer, how do I set up at this market? The Madison County Farmers Market manager and team manage the actual farmers market. All farmers that grow their own produce in Madison and surrounding counties are welcome on campus!
Complete this form and contact the MCFM manager.
- Why host a farmers market on campus when there are other markets available in the Madison County area? We believe our campus community of students, faculty, and staff understands the value in having convenient access to a weekly farmers market on campus.
Madison County Farmers Market | Berea Farmers Market | Downtown Richmond Farmers Market | Harvest 859
- Is the market open to the public? Yes, everyone is welcome at The Farmers Market at EKU.
- How can students help with the farmers market? One of the best ways students can support the market is by coming to the market and supporting local farmers. Use your voice and your social network to tell your friends to visit and shop at the market. Students can also volunteer to assist the farmers and the Healthy YOU! team with weekly market staffing, setup and cleanup.